May Day by Josie Jaffee: Detailed Book Review

May Day is a completely mind-blowing story, written by my new favorite indie author Josie Jaffrey. I requested a Review Copy of May Day, the first book of the seekers series and Killian's Dead, a prequel short story, and she was happy to send it to them to me in return for an honest review :)

Without any further ado, let me tell you what May Date is about:

If the murderer you’re tracking is a vampire, then you want a vampire detective. Just maybe not this one.

It’s not that Jack Valentine is bad at her job. The youngest member of Oxford’s Seekers has an impressive track record, but she also has an impressive grudge against the local baron, Killian Drake.

When a human turns up dead on May Morning, she’s determined to pin the murder on Drake. The problem is that none of the evidence points to him. Instead, it leads Jack into a web of conspiracy involving the most powerful people in the country, people to whom Jack has no access. But she knows someone who does.

To get to the truth, Jack will have to partner up with her worst enemy. As long as she can keep her cool, Drake will point her to the ringleaders, she’ll find the murderer and no one else will have to die.

Body bags on standby.

May Day is the first book in Josie Jaffrey’s Seekers series, an urban fantasy series set in Oxford, England.

Genre: Paranormal (Vampire), mystery, thriller, humor 


Short Summary of May Day


When David Grand, a human, turns up dead on May Day when the Seekers know this isn't a normal murder or suicide. It's clearly the work of a vampire, a Silver. A silver who can expose all the other silvers.

Jack Valentine, a fierce, bisexual silver, and one of the youngest members of the Seekers has a pretty impressive record. But she is determined to solve this one, not just because it's her job, but because this could the chance to take out her lifelong grudge on Killian Drake, the baron of Oxford by pinning this murder on him. 

The only problem is, none of the evidence points to Drake. Instead, they point to so many powerful people that Jack has no access to without her enemy, Killian Drake. 

So, as the story goes around Jack and her team find themselves in a labyrinth of clues leaving her to wonder who she can truly trust. 

Main Characters:


□ Jack Valentine (so far she is my favorite, and trust me it is really unlikely for me to like the main character)
□ Killian Drake (A really cool guy and really hot too and there's no way you won't like him.)
□ Cameron (He's so cute!)
□ Naia (She's laid back, but I don't want to trust her. I feel like she'll betray them)
□ Boyce (One of my favorite characters. He just sticks to his job that makes him sound a little boring. I would love to see his fun side though!)
□ Dr. Tabitha Rose (I don't trust her. I just don't. I feel like she doesn't have good intentions)
□ Ed (I have a neutral expression of him)
□ Captain Langford 
□ Secondus



Review: 


Paranormal and vampires are one of the genres I usually like to read. Add mystery to it, and I knew I had to read this one. But I am not going to lie, when I got this, I didn't think it would be that good. Boy, if only I knew how wrong I was!

I didn't have to wait until the sixth or seventh chapter to build in my interest. I was stuck to it from the first chapter. A murder so mysteriously planned with a potential dangerous silver is something that does grab your attention. What I liked about this was it is light humored and set in a modern world of smartphones and Netflix. 

Then, I don't think I've read many vampire books where the main character is bisexual. All genders were represented uniquely in book with Cam and Tabitha being gay and Ed and Jack being bisexual. And it was really good to see the representation! 

I have read that some people found the pace of the story is a little slow, but considering this book is the first part of the series where everything is building up, I think it was nicely paced. When the clues started dropping, everything felt so confusing. I couldn't figure out who could be killed and none of my suspects lasted longer than two chapters. 

May Day also breaks some stereotypes about vampires like how they hate sun, etc. The silvers are really uniquely defined. They are fast, they work in a manner similar to humans, they can mark the scents of themselves to someone they like, they have a silver thread lining in their teeth, etc.

There's a mild use of offensive language, but I didn't mind that because honestly that how we, Gen-Z and teenagers talk nowadays so it doesn't really feel offensive. 

Overall Mayday is a really good book and I recommend it to anyone who likes to read paranormal books with a good mystery. You can buy it here



Some phrases/quotes from the book that I like:


● Being silver is kind of like being bisexual. I came out to them when I was sixteen and they never believed that was real, either.

● Killian Drake is an unmitigated bastard. He's rich and powerful, which is a bad place for any man to start, but he's also arrogant and elitist, which makes him a particularly wanky breed of wanker.

●After today's encounter with the bastard who shall not be named, I really need it.

●No one smokes anymore. If you so much as pull out a cigarette these days, people look at you as though you have just suggested torturing children for fun.

●"Really? They are that good?"
"They are very clever dogs, we have one bitch in particular-"
Naia shoots me a dirty look.

● "Men are shits, you know?" She warbles. "You give them your best years, then you pump out their offspring and watch as your tits head south along with the rest of you, and then they leave you at home to cook their meals while they swan around town as though they're still twenty-one."

● "I don't know," he says eventually. "It's difficult. Some days I'm fine, but other days it just hits me harder. Then I think about what I have lost and wonder if I'll ever find it again." He tries to smile. "I'm sorry. That's maudlin."

● 'Guide's promise,' I say, holding up my right hand.
'If you were a girl guide,' he says, 'then I was a jolly London chimney sweep with an Australian accent. Swear it on something you actually believe in. Like gin. Swear on gin.'

● I'm not sure what deluded part of my brain thinks that I would ever buy chocolate without eating it instantly. 

● 'Are you going to forgive him?' She asks. Her voice is strained and small.
'Forgive him? He hit me, which was not only painful but also, annoying because I've always wanted to slap him across the face for years. If he were a gentleman then he would have let me go first."
"You're joking about this?"
"Of course I am. I joke about everything."
She looks horrified. (I laughed so much at this one)

● You unbalance me in ways I can't explain.

● Let me tell you the problem with university students: they are stupid as fuck.



Final thoughts:


I would give this book 4 stars out of 5. It was good and intriguing. It's safe to say that I am really excited for the second part! If you have read this book or will be reading it, let me know your thoughts in the comments below!

Comments

  1. this is so good. loved the quote "Being silver is kind of like being bisexual. I came out to them when I was sixteen and they never believed that was real, either."
    gonna read this one for sure!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! I would really appreciate your views!