Heroes Of Olympus: The Lost Hero (Book Review)

The Lost Hero

By Rick Riordan
Complete Review

The Lost Hero is the first book of the Heroes of Olympus series by Rick Riordan. 

"Who?" Jason asked.
"Her boyfriend," Butch said, "A guy named Percy Jackson."

About The Book


JASON HAS A PROBLEM. He doesn’t remember anything before waking up in a bus full of kids on a field trip. Apparently, he has a girlfriend named Piper, and his best friend is a guy named Leo. They’re all students at the Wilderness School, a boarding school for “bad kids," as Leo puts it. What did Jason do to end up here? And where is here, exactly? Jason doesn't know anything—except that everything seems very wrong.

PIPER HAS A SECRET. Her father has been missing for three days, ever since she had that terrifying nightmare about his being in trouble. Piper doesn’t understand her dream, or why her boyfriend suddenly doesn’t recognize her. When a freak storm hits during the school trip, unleashing strange creatures and whisking her, Jason, and Leo away to someplace called Camp Half-Blood, she has a feeling she’s going to find out, whether she wants to or not.

LEO HAS A WAY WITH TOOLS. When he sees his cabin at Camp Half-Blood, filled with power tools and machine parts, he feels right at home. But there’s weird stuff, too—like the curse everyone keeps talking about, and some camper who's gone missing. Weirdest of all, his bunkmates insist that each of them—including Leo—is related to a god. Does this have anything to do with Jason's amnesia, or the fact that Leo keeps seeing ghosts?

My Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐ (4/5)
Genre: Mythology Fantasy

Book Review:

Join new and old friends from Camp Half-Blood in this thrilling first book in The Heroes of Olympus series. Best-selling author Rick Riordan has pumped up the action, humor, suspense, and mystery in an epic adventure that will leave readers panting for the next installment.

Uncle Rick's my favorite author and I love all of his books. Still, this book last a little enthusiasm for me when I read it for the first time. 

There were unfamiliar characters in a familiar world. I was tired of everyone comparing Jason to Percy. And without Percy, I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. The whole time my mind was like 'Percy is going to pop out and save them!' The book really got my interest after the meeting with Medea. By then, each character was nicely described and I was starting to like them. 




But Leo is the whole reason I kept reading till then. He is hilarious, super-smart, loyal, and mysterious. I loved him immediately at the start. He seemed like a simple kid at first but turns out the past was so much more complicated. 

However, Piper was mostly like 'Jason is so hot!' and "I gotta betray them and save dad." I mean, understandable, but unnecessary. (Sorry, I have watched Enola Holmes too much.) But it was interesting to learn more about Cherokee culture and flashbacks to her memories with her dad gave good insights. I started admiring Piper towards the end when they had freed Hera and returned to the camp. (The Drew moment was badass)

Jason was like, 'Ooo, I gotta be bOLd, but I don't know who I am.' I get it that he felt the pressure of being the son of Jupiter but he didn't have to flex that hard. He was taking the amnesia thing too lightly. Maybe it was because he .but it took me Mark Of Athena to like Jason. 

Piper's and Jason's relationship felt really interesting because Piper had to completely forget the one mist had built and shaped it into a complete real one. The book was thick and they are so many adventures at once it was so exciting. I have heard people say that the friendship was built too quickly and character also developed too fast but if I faced many life/death situations with my friends, I'll hold those people for life.

Overall, I expected this book to be kind of a repeat of the first series, but it was SO MUCH different. There were amazing twists. I was so happy to meet the previous characters and the new characters as well. The character developments were amazingly real. It was really exciting to see the friendship between Leo, Piper, and Jason. 

This Trio is definitely one of my favorites and I love this book now. The ending? OMG. I have re-read it many times and I'll continue re-reading. The series literally gives me so much happiness and I love it. 

Favorite Quotes:


1. Gaea?” Leo shook his head. “Isn’t that Mother Nature? She’s supposed to have, like, flowers in her hair and birds singing around her and dear and rabbits doing her laundry.”
“Leo, that’s Snow White,” Piper said.

2. I'm Dylan. I'm so cool. I want to date myself, but I don't know-how! You want to date me instead? You're so lucky!

3. You must forge your own path for it to mean anything.

4. Piper gripped his hand and followed him, “If I fall, you’re catching me.” “Uh, sure.” Jason hoped he wasn’t blushing.
Leo stepped out next. “You’re catching me, too, Superman. But I ain’t holding your hand."

5. "I try very hard to be annoying," Leo said. "Don't insult my ability to annoy."

6. But beauty is about finding the right fit, the most natural fit, To be perfect, you have to feel perfect about yourself --- avoid trying to be something you're not. For a goddess, that's especially hard. We can change so easily.

7. Zeus looked like a really buff, really angry hippie.

8. My point is that love is the most powerful motivator in the world. It spurs mortals to greatness. Their noblest, bravest acts are done for love.

9. If possible, try to avoid pushing each other over the edge, as that would cause me extra paperwork.

10. Nothing lasts forever, not even the best machines. And everything can be reused.




Have you read this book? Let me know how you liked it in the comments below!

Comments

  1. YOU MADE ME READ PJO, IM SURE THIS ONE WON'T DISAPPOINT ME!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! I would really appreciate your views!